A host of environmental disasters, including floods in Angola, Indonesia and Australia, volcanic eruptions in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and wildfires in Turkey and South Africa as well as an avalanche in India, were reported in April.
Here is a timeline compiled by Anadolu Agency.
- At least 44 people are killed and seven others are missing after flash floods and landslides swept an island in southern Indonesia.
- At least 157 people die, dozens more are missing, and thousands are rendered homeless after a tropical cyclone Seroja battered Indonesia and neighboring East Timor.
- Severe flooding hits Queensland's southeast in Australia due to heavy rains, resulting in at least four fatalities.
- Death toll from tropical cyclones hitting Indonesia and East Timor rises to 182, while dozens are still missing.
- One person is killed and seven others are trapped after a gas outburst in a mine in southwestern China.
- A volcano that has been closely monitored in St. Vincent and the Grenadines erupts, sending a massive plume of smoke and ash soaring into the air.
- Fruit growers and winemakers in France report that the majority of their harvest this year are lost to the severe cold snap that affects parts of Europe.
- Forest fire erupts in western and southwestern Turkey where over 150 forest workers, many firefighters and water tankers battle flames that the wind helped spread in a short time over the region.
- A large coastal landslide takes place at Nefyn Bay in North Wales, UK, police secure the area and the public is urged to avoid it until further notice.
- Wildfire in Cape Town, South Africa, burns buildings and leaves two people injured.
- At least 14 are killed, more than 8,000 others displaced after flash floods hit Luanda, Angola.
- A massive landslide occurs at the Great Whale River in Quebec, Canada, dumping "considerable amount of debris" into the river.
- At least eight people are killed and 384 others rescued after an avalanche close to border with China hits northern India.
- Record number of wildfires are reported in the Omsk region, western Siberia, registering nearly a thousand new fires per day in last week.
- Authorities in the Indian Ocean island nation of Mauritius issues a disaster alert after heavy rains cause severe flooding, making roads impassable to pedestrians and vehicles.
- Heavy rain and thunderstorm hit cities across southern Saudi Arabia as the holy city of Mecca is hit by flash flooding after heavy rains.
- After reactivated, lava flows from the Pacaya volcano, south of Guatemala City, raising fears it may spread to nearby communities.